Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hayley Baby Quilt

My friend asked me to make her a quilt for her sister-in-law and wanted it to go with the nursery bedding her sister-in-law picked out.  The bedding was the Hayley Collection from Pottery Barn Kids.  It took me a while to figure out a pattern but I decided to purchase the crib sheet from the bedding collection and use that as fabric in the quilt to help it blend in with the rest of the set. I was also able to match the colors correctly because a picture off the internet does work that well.

Here is the bedding set -
Hayley Nursery Bedding

and this is the quilt I made to coordinate


 And the back pieced with some of the fabrics:

The crib sheet has cute owls, birds and trees on it so I cut out squares from the sheet and then found coordinating fabrics to make a shadow box block.  Since the bedding has a lot of white in it I added white sashing between blocks and used pieces of the crib sheet as my cornerstones.  I also didn't want a heavy binding and used the crib sheet for the binding to give it a soft feel with pops of color.
The final quilt was 45"x45" and can be hung up in the nursery or used as a play quilt but is larger than a typical baby quilt so the little girl can grow with it. 

Here are a few more close up shots:



I really hope my friend likes it and that her sister-in-law likes it!  It is always hard to make something and not knowing if the receiver will love it as much as you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment