Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chocolate Pumpkin Mini Muffins

I should start out saying that I am not a big fan of pumpkin.  I have tried it in breads, muffins, pies and never been a big fan of it's flavor.  However, I want my son to grow up trying new things and different flavors so I took a small step and made some Chocolate Pumpkin muffins.  I did not make up this recipe, there are tons of variations online but it is easy, quick and most important, doesn't have a strong pumpkin flavor.

Similar to Diet Soda cupcakes, this recipe really calls for 2 ingredients.  Can of pumpkin puree and a box of chocolate cake mix.  Being the "make everything yourself" person that I am, I made my own pumpkin puree.  The Happy Housewife has a great tutorial on how to do so.  I was hoping I would get more puree out of the pie pumpkin but I got only 3 cups.

I added a little vanilla extract and Baking Spice mix from Penzys.  I have seen other add chocolate chips and I personally think that pecans would be awesome in them too.  Next time I am adding pecans for sure.  Others use spice cake mix instead of chocolate but I am a chocolate lover so of course I used chocolate.

These "muffins" are super fudgy and very yummy.  You can't really taste the pumpkin at all but you save calories by omitting oil and eggs and you gain the nutritional benefits of pumpkin which include good sources of vitamin A, beta-carotene, fiber and iron.



Chocolate Pumpkin Mini Muffins

1 15 oz can of pumpkin or pumpkin puree
1 box chocolate cake mix
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon or baking spice


Mix all ingredients together, scoop into mini muffin pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 18 min or until done.

These come out to about 60 calories per mini muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment