Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Food Fabric Bin

We have a cubicle storage shelf from Ikea in my son's playroom and as the collection of toys grows so does the need for better organization.  Most of the shelves are open and two to three toys are placed in each cubicle but I saw a need for some bins to help contain smaller items.  I thought to myself, why buy some when you can make them and make them cuter.  I searched high and low online for just the right type of fabric bin that would work well for a 12 inch square bin. 



I finally found this simple tutorial and changed the measurements to fit our cubicle size better.  For each side, I made the square top part and the bottom into a triangle as one long piece.  The top part is 12 inches square and the triangle is 6 inches long and a 90 degree angle at the tip.  You need 4 pieces, one for each side and the triangles will join together at the bottom.  I used a lightweight interfacing on the outer fabric and heavyweight Pellon 91 (I believe) on the lining fabric.  For the interfacing I cut it an inch shorter all the way around to allow room for seams.  I also added some simple handles in case B wants to carry his toys to a different room.  



I keep all of B's kitchen, cooking, fake food, etc in this bin and we are working on putting the kitchen toys back in the kitchen bin.  I plan to do a cars, music and possibly trains one if I can find train fabric that I like.

The bin has been in use for almost 2 weeks and seems to be holding up strong so far.  Time to drive to Joann's to buy more interfacing to make bin #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment